Tuesday 20 July 2010

My return to the UK and Stanley's return to Chicago

Wow, just realised how long it's been since I've updated this thing. Where to start!

Well I guess one major thing that happened since I last updated was me returning back to the UK for a few weeks. The fact that I've been in the US for well over 6 months now is a scary idea. I very nearly didn't make back home because of Icelandic volcanoes and striking cabin crew. But amazingly I made it back with no trouble at all, even managed an emergency seat. Being back home was a great if slightly odd feeling. Driving on the left and having a clutch pedal to deal with being some of the adjustments that had to be made. During my 2 weeks back home I caught up with friends, went to Twickenham to see the IRB Rugby 7's and attended Kit's wedding.

The IRB 7's was my first foray into the seven man code and I had a fantastic time. The weather was sunny and warm and the rugby was awesome. Possibly the best moment was when Kenya beat France, you'd think that England had won the World Cup again the roar from the crowd was that loud. Unfortunately SA lost to Australia in the final but never mind you can't have them all.

The main reason for the my return to the UK was to attend the wedding of Kit and Ellie. Drove up the night before for a little reunion with all the university friends. A fun evening cut short due to the rehearsal dinner happening at around 11pm.

The next morning we were up bright and early looking sharp. The wedding ceremony was in the morning at a beautiful little church near a manor house which served as the location of the reception. After the wedding we had a champagne reception followed by lunch followed by the speeches and more champagne, followed by a blessing ceremony, more champagne, a hog roast and a samba band. A long but extremely enjoyable day. My congratulations to the newly married couple.

After 2 weeks of reunions and a wedding it was time to return to the states, again my flights were threatened by striking cabin crew but the flight still left on time so it was all good. Managed the emergency exit seat again.

One major event that was occurring when I went back to the UK was the finals of the 2010 NHL Play-offs. I was a little worried I'd miss them as Chicago was playing against Philadelphia for the Stanley Cup. Chicago hadn't won the cup for nearly 50 years, the longest of any other team so it was a big deal. Chicago were 2-1 up in the 7 game series when I got back to the US. Philadelphia evened the series in the 4th game but then Chicago won the 5th. This prompted me to organise a night out to watch game 6. A group of 10 of us went to a sports bar to watch the game. Chicago were looking ahead but Philadelphia managed to even the score at the end of regulation time. Extra time in ice hockey runs on the golden goal rule. 3 minutes into extra time Chicago scored and the place went nuts. People were jumping and hugging and singing. Chicago plays Chelsea Dagger whenever they score so we heard that song a lot. Afterwards we went out around Chicago and celebrated, me and a friends ended up in Wrigleyville where the streets were packed, extremely festive atmosphere that reminded me of Mardi Gras.

Finally the last big event was Mary visiting me from the UK. Activities in Chicago included a Cubs (baseball) game, boat tour on the lake and marvelling at the magnificent thunderstorms that blew through Chicago. Mary's visit also brought about my second major trip outside Chicago, New Buffalo in Michigan and then Niagara Falls.

New Buffalo is a quiet little lakeside town in Michigan state just across the border from Indiana. Spent a quiet day on the beach and exploring the region. We then spent a day driving to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

Niagara Falls is quite an awesome sight. It's not the tallest or widest set of waterfalls in the world but there is an enormous quantity of water flowing over them. I could spend ages just standing and watching them. The first night was spent on the Maid of the Mist tour which is quite an experience and I'd definitely do it again, only the next time I'll put my contact lenses in. Other things we did included going behind the falls, checking out the local attractions, dinner at a revolving restaurant and walking about both the Canadian and American sides of the falls.

That's the reduced update, plenty of other things have happened but these are the main ones. Thanks for reading

Til Next Time,

No comments:

Post a Comment